Name partner Octavian Cazac, Ph.D., is with the firm for more than a decade. He is a recognized expert in Moldovan project finance and syndicated finance, cross-border M&A and PPPs. Octavian is recommended as a Band 1 lawyer by Chambers Global, which has emphasized that clients are impressed with his skills, stature in the community, responsiveness and pragmatism. He is also cited as a leading lawyer in the IFRL1000 and Legal500 editorials, being recommended as “reliable, smooth, trustworthy and prompt.”
CHAMBERS GLOBAL (Feb 2019): „Interviewees laud Octavian Cazac ‘s expertise and commercial awareness. „He works towards meeting the final goal. He’s a deal maker, not a deal breaker,”reports one source. His wide-ranging practice spans M&A transactions, corporate and banking regulatory mandates.”
Octavian holds a doctoral degree in Private Law from the Moldova State University (2013), his LL.M. degreed having been obtained from the same university in 2005. Octavian is an Associate Professor of Civil Law at the Moldova State University, Faculty of Law, where he started teaching from 2004.
Since 2014 Octavian is extensively involved in reforming Moldova’s private laws and in particular the Moldovan Civil Code. In July 2018 Parliament adopted the 500+ pages Law to Modernize the Civil Code, to which Octavian contributed.
In 2008-2014 Octavian has served on the Scientific Advisory Council of the Moldovan Supreme Court of Justice, advising judges in landmark legal cases and legal challenges. Between 2012 and 2017 he acted on the Board of Directors of American Chamber of Commerce in Moldova (www.amcham.md).
Octavian takes a particular interest in arbitration and the CISG. Since 2016 he acts as coach of the Moldova State University Vis Moot Team, and as arbitrator in moot courts. Since 2018 he also holds a LL.M. course on Commercial and Investment Arbitration at the Moldova State University.
In 2015 he was elected, and in 2016 he was re-elected, to serve on the Board of the Moldovan Bar.
Fluent in English, French, Romanian and Russian. Conversant in German.
- Textbook on „Civil Law. General Theory of Obligations” („Drept civil. Teoria generală a obligaţiilor: Manual”), Chişinău, 2015 (co-authored with other lecturers of the Civil Law Chair, Faculty of Law, MSE; coord. Sergiu Baieş). Authored following chapters:Chapter 5: Effects of Contracts (including Binding Force of Contract; Interpretation; Implied Terms; Qualification of Contracts);Chapter 6: Exceptions from Binding Force of Contracts (including Hardship; Suspension of Performance of Contracts; Termination of Contracts; Impossibility and Risks in Contracts)Chapter 11: Security of Performance of Obligations (including Oblique Action; Paulian Action; Suretyship; Penalty Clause; Earnest Money; Retention).
- PhD Thesis on „Termination of Contracts”, Chisinau, 2013.
- Co-Author of Chapter on „The Compensation of Moral Damages” in the Supreme Court of Justice’s „Handbook for Judges in Civil Cases”, 2nd Edition, Chisinau, 2013.
- Author of the Civil Law module of ABA ROLI’s „Curriculum for Continuing Education for Lawyers,” Chisinau, 2013.
- His publications can be read at his SSRN author page: http://ssrn.com/author=1933254
- Octavian regularly speaks on matters of reform of the Civil Code. Some videos are available on his Youtube Channel.